Hi Emily,

In ergm.ego the target network statistics are estimated in a
design-based fashion. It is important to account for the design
(clusters, strata, and so on) in sampling of the egos. The fact that
some alters of some egos are in fact the same physical persons is,
perhaps counter-intuitively, not really relevant. Ignoring that
information does not introduce any biases. This follows from the way
the estimators are constructed which is described in

Krivitsky, P. N., & Morris, M. (2017). Inference for social network
models from egocentrically sampled data, with application to
understanding persistent racial disparities in HIV prevalence in the
US. The annals of applied statistics, 11(1), 427.

but also from a more general result on other types of subgraphs (apart
from those covered by the network statistics implemented in ergm.ego)
which is described in https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__arxiv.org_abs_1510.08119&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=V86eEyd8HAgjDVWwA9Q_DjhC8VSbJXAvHB4kpoJwicY&s=JnqvRcaLViVO_jOO9t39HSmZUrnGGzOLaakytKKv6UQ&e=

Best,
Michal