Dear List,

I am running a 5-day ACSPRI training course on Big Data Analysis for Social Scientists - University of Melbourne, 3-7 February, 2020.

Early bird enrolment finishes midnight Wednesday 4th (Australian Eastern Standard Time).

The course focuses on the collection and analysis of socially-generated network and text data from social media (Twitter, Reddit, YouTube) and also the WWW (hyperlink networks).

We mainly use the R statistical software, with particular focus on:

- vosonSML ("social media lab") R package (https://github.com/vosonlab/vosonsml) for network/text data collection

- VOSON Dashboard R/Shiny web app (https://github.com/vosonlab/VOSONDash) for data collection (via vosonSML) and network/text analysis

- igraph for network analysis

- Text analysis using packages such as: tm, quanteda, RTextTools, wordcloud, tidytext and topicmodels

Course material from previous related courses I have run are here:

http://vosonlab.net/training_workshops

The course is updated each year, so expect the 2020 course to be bigger and better!

For booking, see here:

https://www.acspri.org.au/summer-program-2020

--

Dr Robert Ackland
Associate Professor, School of Sociology