Dear all,

I thought you may find our new working paper "Digital Fingerprints of
Cognitive Reflection" <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__psyarxiv.com_qaswn&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=skNwbfgHRvSNUVC7CnQ8I32hvNkLzem3Tgi3CgHu0uo&s=xNGw7Cn-bWTvcwUKwnvOimFi0VszG4m2swnW5JYeONc&e= > to be of interest.
Abstract and link below, and Twitter thread summarizing it here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_DG-5FRand_status_1202442582485323781&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=skNwbfgHRvSNUVC7CnQ8I32hvNkLzem3Tgi3CgHu0uo&s=IYyhCi66ztdfDpVR_ouVEj3m--y-eVqa2KDBwIdEc3g&e=

Comments and feedback much appreciated!

All the best
Mohsen

Mohsen Mosleh
Postdoctoral Researcher, MIT Sloan School of Management
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mohsenmosleh.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=skNwbfgHRvSNUVC7CnQ8I32hvNkLzem3Tgi3CgHu0uo&s=gC11I46YEOOepH3mXYPU2S61YawXonIds0LYj7aQeYU&e=

*Digital Fingerprints of Cognitive Reflection*
Mohsen Mosleh, Gordon Pennycook, Antonio Arechar, and David Rand

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__psyarxiv.com_qaswn&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=skNwbfgHRvSNUVC7CnQ8I32hvNkLzem3Tgi3CgHu0uo&s=xNGw7Cn-bWTvcwUKwnvOimFi0VszG4m2swnW5JYeONc&e=

Social media is playing an increasingly large role in everyday life. Thus,
it is of both scientific and practical interest to understand behavior on
social media platforms. Furthermore, social media provides a unique window
for social scientists to deepen our understanding of the human mind. Here
we investigate the relationship between individual differences in cognitive
reflection and behavior on Twitter in a sample of large N = 1,953 users
recruited via Prolific Academic. In doing so, we differentiate between two
competing accounts of human information processing: an “intuitionist”
account whereby reflection plays little role in daily life, and a
“reflectionist” account whereby reflection (and, in particular, overriding
intuitive responses) does play an important role. We found that people who
score higher on the Cognitive Reflection Test (CRT) – a widely used measure
of reflective thinking – were more discerning in their social media use:
They followed more selectively, shared news content from more reliable
sources, and tweeted about weightier subjects. Furthermore, a network
analysis indicated that the phenomenon of echo chambers, in which discourse
is more likely with like-minded others, is not limited to politics: we
observe “cognitive echo chambers” in which people low on cognitive
reflection tend to follow the same set of accounts. Our results help to
illuminate the drivers of behavior on social media platforms, and challenge
intuitionist notions that reflective thinking is unimportant for everyday
judgment and decision-making.