Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to draw your attention to the following call for abstracts for an organized session at Sunbelt 2020:

“Network Ecology: Bringing Context(s) In”

Social networks are embedded in cultural, institutional, and material contexts that affect tie formation processes and the resulting network topologies. For example, romantic entanglements are subject to social and cultural norms, interfirm alliances vary by industry- and country-specific legislation, and adolescent friendships are conditioned by neighborhood effects and ethnic composition. In short, contexts clearly matter for the formation and stabilization of social relations. Which contexts matter, how exactly, and when, however, remain to be established. This organized session brings together research that addresses these and related questions through an ecological lens.

To further develop ‘network ecology’ as a framework, we solicit methodological, conceptual, and empirical contributions that model, explain, and predict how social networks coevolve with ecological pressures that arise in the proximal network environment.

Please submit your abstract for an oral presentation.
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Submission link: https://www.insna.org/call-for-oral-presentations-and-posters

Please also note the open Call for Papers for a special issue on "Network Ecology", to be published in Social Networks in 2021. We are currently soliciting extended abstracts by February 28th, 2020. For further information, contact Malte Doehne (doehne[at]soziologie.uzh.ch).

We look forward to your submissions!

Malte Doehne, University of Zürich
Daniel McFarland, Stanford University
James Moody, Duke University