Subject: Latest Complexity Digest Posts
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 12:01:44 +0000
From: Complexity Digest <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barry <[log in to unmask]>

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=0ecc13e8ef&e=55e25a0e3e

Steven Strogatz Talks Science and Math on the Joy of x Podcast

https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=125c0eb98f&e=55e25a0e3e

The noted mathematician and author Steven Strogatz explains why he wanted to share intimate conversations with leading researchers from diverse fields in his new Quanta Magazine podcast.

Source: www.quantamagazine.org (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=5356272d9c&e=55e25a0e3e)

Complex economic activities concentrate in large cities

https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=98f7616cc8&e=55e25a0e3e

Pierre-Alexandre Balland, Cristian Jara-Figueroa, Sergio G. Petralia, Mathieu P. A. Steijn, David L. Rigby & César A. Hidalgo
Nature Human Behaviour (2020)

Human activities, such as research, innovation and industry, concentrate disproportionately in large cities. The ten most innovative cities in the United States account for 23% of the national population, but for 48% of its patents and 33% of its gross domestic product. But why has human activity become increasingly concentrated? Here we use data on scientific papers, patents, employment and gross domestic product, for 353 metropolitan areas in the United States, to show that the spatial concentration of productive activities increases with their complexity. Complex economic activities, such as biotechnology, neurobiology and semiconductors, concentrate disproportionately in a few large cities compared to less--complex activities, such as apparel or paper manufacturing. We use multiple proxies to measure the complexity of activities, finding that complexity explains from 40% to 80% of the variance in urban concentration of occupations, industries, scientific fields and technologies. Using
historical patent data, we show that the spatial concentration of cutting-edge technologies has increased since 1850, suggesting a reinforcing cycle between the increase in the complexity of activities and urbanization. These findings suggest that the growth of spatial inequality may be connected to the increasing complexity of the economy.

Source: www.nature.com (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=e0db1cb5e9&e=55e25a0e3e)

Analysis and control of epidemics in temporal networks with self-excitement and behavioral changes

Lorenzo Zino, Alessandro . Rizzo, Maurizio Porfiri

European Journal of Control

The complexity of interaction patterns among individuals in social systems plays a fundamental role on the inception and spreading of epidemic outbreaks. Empirical evidence has shown that the network of social interactions may co-evolve with the spread of the disease at comparable time-scales. Time-varying features have also been documented in the study of the propensity of individuals toward social activity, leading to the emergence of burstiness and temporal clustering. These temporal network dynamics are not independent of the disease evolution, whereby infected individuals could experience changes in their tendency to form connections, spontaneously or due to exogenous control policies. Neglecting these phenomena in modeling epidemics could lead to dangerous mispredictions of an outbreak and ineffective control interventions. In this paper, we propose a mathematically tractable modeling framework that relies on a limited number of parameters and encapsulates all these instances of
complex phenomena through the lens of activity driven networks. Hawkes processes, Markov chains, and stability theory are leveraged to assist in the analysis of the framework and the formulation of theory-based control interventions. Our mathematical findings confirm the intuition that bursty activity patterns, typical of humans, facilitate epidemic spreading, while behavioral changes aiming at individual isolation could accelerate the eradication of epidemics. The proposed tools are demonstrated on a real-world case of influenza spreading in Italy. Overall, this work contributes new insight into the theory of temporal networks, laying the foundations for the analysis and control of spreading processes over networks with complex interaction patterns.

Source: www.sciencedirect.com (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=1074c660b7&e=55e25a0e3e)

Neural Dendrites Reveal Their Computational Power

https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=6ae38f2345&e=55e25a0e3e

The dendritic arms of some human neurons can perform logic operations that once seemed to require whole neural networks.

Source: www.quantamagazine.org (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=e1f150e3bd&e=55e25a0e3e)

Mediterranean School of Complex Networks 2020

https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=2ee00b24ee&e=55e25a0e3e