Call for Abstracts: “Words and Networks” Session at Sunbelt 2020
We invite submissions of abstracts to the organized session on "Words and Networks" at Sunbelt 2020, June 2-7, in Paris
(https://www.insna.org/call-for-oral-presentations-and-posters).

Research on “Words and Networks” has led to eminent work, e.g., on language change, recommender systems, collaborative work, semantic computing, and the diffusion and adoption of (mis)information offline and online. This session invites methodological innovations and novel applications at the nexus of text analysis (including discourse analysis, content analysis, text mining, and natural language processing) and network analysis. The study of networks of words, analysis of large text corpora, and extraction of networks from text data are also of interest.

Prior work on “words and networks” has demonstrated the advantage of combining social networks and semantic analysis for studying discourses in public debates, online forums, media representations, and social movements. Such work can result in strategies for connecting communities, and nudging change within organizations and other complex systems.

Text analytics also complement network analysis through the construction of network data based on natural language texts, for example by using recent machine learning and artificial intelligence based solutions. Methodological innovations related to extracting networks from communication data (including the construction of multi-mode networks that entail social agents and knowledge or information), qualitative approaches, and innovations in analytical solutions are welcome in this track, as well as substantive applications of these methods.

We invite abstract submissions that contribute to the consolidation of text analysis and network analysis. We are interested in basic and applied studies, and in theoretical, empirical, and methodological work. We encourage submissions from all audiences: including academics, non-profit researchers, policy makers, and researchers in the private sector.

Abstract submission deadline: Friday, February 7, 2020 (23.59 hrs. CET time)

Submission link and details: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sunbelt2020
We invite abstract submissions for oral presentations (20 minute presentation). Please limit all abstracts to 500 words, not including the title (and please do not include references). Please select the appropriate organized session name during online submission (“Words and Networks” – that’s the last one in the last).

This session is jointly organized by Jana Diesner (UIUC, USA), Peter Gloor (MIT, USA), Wouter Van Atteveldt (Vrije Universiteit, Netherlands), Andrea Fronzetti Colladon (University of Perugia, Italy), Francesca Greco (La Sapienza University, Italy), Keiichi Satoh (University of Helsinki, Finland), Yixi Yang (Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada) and Adam Howe (The University of British Columbia, Canada).

Kind regards, Jana

Jana Diesner, PhD
Associate Professor
Director of PhD Program
Director for Strategic Initiatives/ Data Science
School of Information Sciences
http://jdiesnerlab.ischool.illinois.edu