Hello Debra and all,

At the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (4-year) SMART Learning Commons, we offer both drop-ins and appointments.  Fortunately, we have a close partnership with University Libraries, and most of our services are located in prominent libraries around campus.  Our largest & busiest location operates on a drop-in basis 9AM-6:30PM (M-Th), with evening 1-on-1 appointments available (generally between 6:30PM-9PM, M-Th); and 9AM-3PM drop-ins on Friday.

We don't cap our drop-ins at one-to-one, so drop-in tutors may be alternating between multiple students at once (possibly for different classes), which is why we offer one-on-one appointments in the evenings at our largest location and during the day at our smaller/less-busy locations, for students who would prefer more individualized attention.  This format has helped to drive a bit more traffic toward our previously under-utilized locations and break up the congestion at our busiest location (to a small degree).  Truthfully, our smaller locations operate on a sort of hybrid model; priority is for pre-scheduled appointments, but tutors are still present during their entire, scheduled shift to help (drop-ins/questions/general center management) when appointment times do not fill.

I hope this helps.  You are welcome to contact me off-list ([log in to unmask]) with any other questions.  Thank you to the many others who have responded with insights, as well.

Take care,

Brett Gray
Assistant Director - Learning Support Initiatives
SMART Learning Commons
Office of Undergraduate Education
University of Minnesota Twin Cities