From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Marti Alger
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 1:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: No-Show Policy at Your Institution

Hi Kiara

I would just like to send a word of caution. I have worked in this field for over 20 years. In that time I have noticed that the students who can most benefit from our supports are the ones who have difficulty coming. It is frustrating to us, but feels even worse from their standpoint. Mostly it is not intentional. Rather than penalizing these students we need to be encouraging and remind them of what they want to do and why they want to do it. In my opinion, you should try having your coaches keep in contact with their students and look for ways to make stronger connections. Phone calls, or emails with a positive spin will help.

Best regards
Marti

Marti Alger
Learning Strategist
t 604.599.2436
e [log in to unmask]
kpu.ca
Kwantlen Polytechnic University  ► Where thought meets action

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you received this email in error please delete the email and inform the sender immediately. Unauthorized distribution or use is strictly prohibited.