We went the other way with our tutoring. We offer strictly drop-in tutoring where students actually just sign-in when they use the services. No more worrying about "missed sessions" or being the tutoring police. Students come because they want to be there, not because they are being forced. This removes the punitive nature of tutoring and eliminates the fear students have about missing sessions, especially when "extenuating circumstances" appear. We developed our program with the fundamental tenet that tutoring is a support that is always available for every student and is a positive environment where they can come when they need us.

With our student-focused system, we have seen a dramatic difference in the students' perception of tutoring. The attendance numbers have also steadily grown as word got out that the Learning Commons is a welcoming, positive learning environment.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Kiara Kumar
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 10:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: No-Show Policy at Your Institution

Hello,

My name is Kiara Kumar and I am a Coordinator at the Student Academic Resource Center (SARC) at the University of Central Florida (UCF). I am drafting a proposal to implement a no-show policy for the academic coaching program that I oversee. We have a high no-show/cancellation rate and are looking to charge students a fee for missing their coaching appointment (excluding extenuating circumstances which would be reviewed by me). I am wondering if any institutions have policies similar to this in place for their mentoring, tutoring, and/or coaching programs. If so, please let me know what the policy is, how much students are charged, and where the revenue goes.

Thank you!