Hello all,

I would like to clarify that my coaching program works with two student populations: voluntary students and students who are mandated to attend due to their low GPAs via a partnership with UCF's first-year advising office. Students in their second semester who receive anything below 2.6 GPA are required to attend a coaching session that term. The vast majority of our no-shows are from mandated students.

The problem is not how to get students in the door (I have increased our voluntary student numbers), that we are not showing the value of our service, or that we are trying to create hurdles for students to jump over (all of our services are free). The problem is that mandated students are not coming to sessions, which wastes my coaches' time and leaves less room for voluntary students or other students who could have used that time. We consistently have over 100 no-shows per semester, which is over 100 hours that could have been dedicated to helping other students. Our goal is to help as many students as possible, which we are unable to do if we have to turn students away because my coaches are booked but then have those students no-show.

I understand that adding a fine could be seen as penalizing students. However, if they show up for the session they are scheduled for (which is based on availability they provide), there is no penalty, so this should not affect students with varying incomes. If they attend the session that they are repeatedly made aware of, the cost is $0. Students are sent a reminder email from their coach and receive a text message notification from MyKnight STAR. I would not be putting forth a proposal to charge students if we had not already tried other methods over the past years of this program.

I appreciate everyone's input, but I do not want to get too off track with what I am looking for from my initial post. I look forward to hearing more about other institutions' policies so I can put forth a strong policy proposal.

Kiara