Kiara,

I am not sure of your current policy, so I am not sure if this is helpful. Below is the policy for BU's Peer Tutoring. However, I am not sure if faculty ever mandate their students to use the services. You can find more info here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bu.edu_erc_peer-2Dtutoring_-23FAQs&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=rAEAxyLPqD2Ul81HQD7E-V4z4WmDs265zbcrG5-EvN4&s=aAMrNxdHrYschNqwMUYLhkykyyC1mO-QRq5Q8xh-o38&e=

Michele's thanks for sharing. Those are great.

The policy below may not be perfect (few are) but I like it because it doesn't involve a fee. Consequences that involve a fee can often impact students who are affluent once (you miss the opportunity to get help) and students in low-income situations twice (you miss the opportunity to get help and you have to pay money that you often don't have). This approach may be inequitable.

Missed Appointments

What does it mean to be marked as missed?

A Missed appointment marking means that you did not attend a tutoring appointment for which you were scheduled. You either didn’t show up for the appointment at all, failed to cancel the appointment 24 hours in advance, or came to the session more than 15 minutes late. It is the policy of the ERC that once you have 2 Missed appointments, you will be unable to attend any future tutoring appointments until you have come into the office and spoken with one of the ERC’s professional staff about your attendance. If you feel you have received a Missed notification in error, please see the next question.

What do I do if I get a Missed appointment email, but I was at the appointment?

TutorTrac automatically generates missed appointment emails when a student does not sign in for an appointment or if some error happened at sign in. If you receive an email for an appointment you attended, contact us right away to let us know. If it is left as a Missed, it can impact your ability to sign up for future appointments, so it is important to notify us right away to get it fixed for you. You should email the staff member listed in the Missed Appointment email you received to get it corrected.

If I had Missed appointments last semester, will they be counted against me this semester?

No, your missed appointments only count against you for the current semester. All missed appointment records are reset to zero once the new semester begins.

Reggie Jean
Director
he/him/his

Upward Bound | Boston University
Upward Bound Math Science | Boston University
Two Silber Way, Room 431 | Boston, MA 02215
Phone: (617) 353-3551
Fax: (617) 353-2395

The 2019-2020 applications for the Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math Science programs are now available. The new priority deadline is April 15.

Get the up-to-date UB news and pictures. “Like” the BU Upward Bound fan page.