I echo the previous replies that a mathematical formula seems unlikely to be effective. Primary Research Group does publish tutoring program benchmarks each year. The report gives information about how many tutors, their pay, average hours, etc and divides by public versus private as well as the size of the institution and other features. That report is $100 I believe. It may be useful to you. Of course, it is only as accurate as the number and variety of institutions that participate in the survey, but it may at least give you a starting point depending on the reason why you are being asked for this information.

Get Outlook for Android

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Clark, Kegan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 11:05:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Formula for best practices? Help!

Hi Justin,

I donít know of any mathematical formula for best practices, but I recently found this great research article which demonstrates the effectiveness of tutoring and also gives recommendations on best practices for tutoring (I have attached it to this email). Here are some highlights:
- Having a formal contract outlining the expectations for tutoring is beneficial for both student and tutor
- Setting an expectation for consistently meeting with the tutor each week
o We do this through a missed session policy; students must give proper notification and make up the session in the same week or it will be unexcused, three unexcused misses results in tutoring being suspended until the student meets with the Tutor Coordinator
- The number of weeks a student is in tutoring produces a greater effect than the number of hours a student receives

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Very Respectfully,

Kegan Clark
Academic Advisor/Tutor Coordinator
TRIO Disability Support Services
Division of Diversity & Community Engagement
158 Grace Wilkie Annex | Box 145
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount | Wichita, KS 67260
Office: 316.978.5956