Tides of Change: Northwest CRLA Conference

Registration is now open for NWCRLA 2020!

Our 2020 conference will be held just outside of Seattle in Everett, WA at Everett Community College from April 17-18, 2020. Register now at https://www.nwcrla.com/conference.html#conferencereg.

Not in the Pacific Northwest region?

Come join us anyway in the vibrant Seattle area. The Northwest CRLA serves Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana, but all (from all over) are welcome to learn with us at our conference. Last year we had a participant from Kansas!

You can Practice Digging into Data at our Pre-conference on April 17

Data can be a powerful tool for helping us understand the causes of attrition, implement initiatives, and increase the likelihood of student success.  Many of us, however, struggle with understanding data, using data effectively, and working with other colleagues to ask and answer questions about program impact.  Join our pre-conference workshop leader Dr. Bernadette Jungblut for an afternoon designed for colleagues who want to learn more about collecting and analyzing data; interpreting results; and explaining program outcomes to multiple, different audiences in a competitive budgetary environment.  Together, we will review several student success initiatives and ask and answer the following questions:

Dr. Jungblut is the Associate Provost for Accreditation, Academic Planning, and Assessment at Central Washington University (CWU).

A Keynote and a Dozen Breakout Presentations on Saturday, April 18

Join colleagues for a day of learning and sharing (and food) on Saturday, April 18. Our keynote speaker will address the transformational impact we can have on our students, our institutions, and our colleagues. We will follow up with breakout sessions, a lunch, and a Northwest CRLA member meeting. Our breakout sessions include presentations on teaching and learning instructional strategies, equity and inclusion, learning center management, and academic coaching and tutoring techniques.

Conference Scholarships for Peer Educators
We are excited to offer scholarships for student conference registrations! Scholarships will cover student registration to our conference on Saturday, April 18 and will be awarded to students who are currently employed by their school's learning assistance programs (e.g. tutors, peer mentors, academic coaches, etc.). Visit our website to apply!
Learn more about scholarships at https://www.nwcrla.com/conference.html#scholarship.

Meet Our Keynote Speaker
Join us in welcoming our keynote speaker and pre-conference workshop leader Dr. Bernadette Jungblut! Bernadette M. Jungblut, Ph.D., serves as the Associate Provost for Accreditation, Academic Planning, and Assessment at Central Washington University. Read about the pre-conference workshop a https://www.nwcrla.com/conference.html#keynote.

Book Your Hotel
We have reserved a block of hotel rooms at the nearby Hampton Inn in downtown Everett for attendees of the 2020 Northwest CRLA conference. The number of rooms is limited, so reserve your room soon!

Book now at https://www.nwcrla.com/conference.html#hotelinfo.

Step Up to Lead: Call for Board Nominations
We are now accepting nominations for NWCRLA's next treasurer and president-elect!

Candidates should be higher education professionals including administrators, staff members, and faculty from the northwest region (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana). Elections will be held on Saturday, April 18, 2020 during the conference. Self-nominations are welcomed. Learn more and submit a nomination at https://www.nwcrla.com/conference.html#boardnom.

Jeffrey White, M.A., M.S.

Learning Commons Administrator, Shepard Academic Resource Center

Instructor of German, International Languages and Cultures

President, Northwest College Reading and Learning Association

Buckley Center 163, MSC 184

University of Portland

5000 N. Willamette Blvd.

Portland, Oregon 97203