This a major problem that has significant negative impacts on learning.  In fact, there is research that indicates that the brain prefers paper.  See https://twosidesus.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/scientific-american-why-the-brain-prefers-paper/.  At one school I visited a publisher was going to make e-copies of books available to students at a significantly reduced price, but the student government association conveyed the wishes of the students to have print books, even if they had to pay more.  So students really do understand that print books work better for them.

But because print books are rapidly disappearing, we’ll have to help students effectively use e-books, beginning with helping them accept that they CAN use them effectively.  If they approach the e-books with a negative attitude, it only makes matters worse.

I found a few good articles when I googled “how to make the best use of e-books”.  I think one of the most useful features of e-books is the interactive features.  Students are usually unaware of the practice quizzes, study guides, etc. that are available with e books, and if we show them how to use that feature they seem pleased.  One of the articles even talked about using an e-book as a good study partner.  So I think there are ways we can help students see how to use e-books to their benefit even though I don’t think they’re the best way for students to learn.

Happy Mardi Gras Week!
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.

Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success

(Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry

Louisiana State University

Online Course on Teach Students How to Learn (https://tinyurl.com/TSLcourse)

Teach Yourself How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/y9aqwhhx)

Teach Students How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/ogfktwp)