Megan,

We have a couple different policies in writing relating to this, depending on the type of behavior.

·         We have a policy on effort which is spelled out in our policies and procedures (in our tutor guidebook) so a tutor knows what steps are necessary to address a student who isn’t putting in proper effort (example: student shows up to tutoring on time, but then spends 15 minutes setting up their laptop and logging into their online hw which hasn’t been touched since the last tutoring session).

·         We also hold training over various difficult situations such as students arguing with the tutor, tardiness, etc.

·         Students and tutors sign a contract before they begin tutoring which outlines expectations for the student and tutor. Examples include:

o   Student and tutor will show up on time and prepared to all sessions; they will tutor for the full hour

o   Missed session policy (3 unexcused absences and tutoring will be suspended)

o   “homework policy” – that no work can be done on homework unless the student has already attempted the homework

o   “test policy” – no looking at or working with any kind of test or quiz unless it has already been graded and will not be graded again

Below are excerpts:

Policy on Effort
Student effort is an essential ingredient in the success of tutoring. Therefore, if a student:

  *   comes unprepared to a tutoring session (ex. They don’t bring their book or materials; or do not know what to work on)
  *   constantly shifts off topic
  *   is using tutoring to do homework/assignments without first attempting them outside of tutoring
The following shall take place:

  *   After the first documented occurrence, the tutor will speak with the student to explain expectations and the importance of effort for tutoring in a straight forward, unemotional, and respectful manner. Tutors should avoid being condescending or passive aggressive.
  *   After a second documented occurrence, the tutor will reiterate what was said the first time AND schedule a meeting with the student’s academic advisor (including the student and tutor).
  *   If there is a 3rd occurrence, the tutor will schedule a one-on-one meeting between the Tutor Coordinator and the student to discuss how tutoring should proceed.

Please let me know if you’d like any additional information.

Very Respectfully,

Kegan Clark
Academic Advisor/Tutor Coordinator
TRIO Disability Support Services
Division of Diversity & Community Engagement
158 Grace Wilkie Annex | Box 145
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount | Wichita, KS 67260
Office: 316.978.5956