Suzanne,

At our learning center at a small liberal arts college we used to do all drop-in hours for both tutoring and writing, then we transitioned to a hybrid model that included both drop-ins and appointments, and now our tutoring and writing centers are both appointment-only.  We were seeing a lot of inefficiencies with our drop-in model (many scheduled hours going unused, staff scheduled during specific times that may have limited access for some students, etc.).  Since we switched to an appointment-only model, we have been able to be much more cost efficient (staff are paid only for their time while actually working with students) while significantly increasing our usage numbers.  One key element of this transition was to require every tutor, consultant, and coach to enter at least five hours of availability each week in our scheduling system (TutorTrac), and we strongly encourage them to enter as many availabilities as they can.  The more times they enter, the more time options students have when searching for appointment times—even though our staff members are expected to work no more than 8-10 hours/week.  To answer your other questions:

I hope this helps!

Bruce Epps, M.A.

Director of Academic Success

614-236-6461 (Office)