Hi Kiara,  Thank you for clarifying.  It sounds like your main concern is about some students wanting to see your coaches being turned away when the slot if booked by someone who ultimately no-shows.  At our Student Learning Commons, we have a combination of policies and procedures that mostly takes care of that issue.  Students can either book an appointment online or just drop in.  If a bookable spot is not filled, it becomes a drop-in spot.  We have a well-publicized and consistently enforced policy that says that if you do not show up for your booked appointment within 5 minutes of the scheduled start-time, you lose that appointment.  That enables us to give no-showed appointments away to other students who are waiting and it also results, after the passage of time and consistent messaging, students for the most part being punctual for their booked appointments. As a result, not too many slots are wasted because we cancelled someone's appointment after 5 minutes and they ran in a few minutes later when there was nobody else waiting.  If a student does run in late and are willing to stay until the next timeslot, or come back later that day, they then become a drop-in client and could potentially benefit from someone else's no-show.

As this 5-minute rule is well publicized, I see the loss of a booked appointment as a natural consequence rather than a punishment and enables us to make efficient use of the consultation time we have available.

Also, if someone repeatedly no-shows, they cannot book for the rest of the semester but they can still drop in as they wish.  The next term, they regain their booking privileges.

Best, Ruth

Ruth Silverman, M.Ed.  (She/ her/ hers)
Learning Services Coordinator
Student Learning Commons
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University

778-782-8465
http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/branches-depts/slc

I respectfully acknowledge that SFU is on ancestral and unceded Coast Salish land.