Hi Justin,

Whoever asked this question has a lot to learn about education, in my opinion. But, perhaps you can play along.  I suggest you ask for a similar formula for the number of deans on your campus. Or, perhaps, one for the number of ladder-rank faculty.

Once you have those formulae—and the models that undergird them—you’ll have a starting point for answering their question. I’ll be

And, of course the amount of academic support expected is in large part dependent on faculty—their numbers, training, emphasis on teaching, grading, etc. You can tell them that it appears that the strongest predictor of use of tutoring on Princeton’s campus is the instructor. Sometimes because they promote the service, sometimes because they are excellent and the course is very challenging, and sometimes because instruction is not effective. What formula would capture those dynamics?

There are numbers out there. Do they reflect ‘best practices’ or simply norms? Probably the latter.

Best of luck,

Nic

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge  || Senior Associate Director || he, him, his

McGraw Center for Teaching & Learning ||  Princeton University

328 Frist Center

(609)258-6921  || https://mcgraw.princeton.edu/undergraduates

signature_1219834507

Life Beyond Grades: Designing College Courses to Promote Intrinsic Motivation

The Key To Overcoming Procrastination | TEDx PrincetonU

Principedia

The Insiders’ Guide To Princeton Academics—Add Your Voice!