Hi Justin,

I don’t know of any mathematical formula for best practices, but I recently found this great research article which demonstrates the effectiveness of tutoring and also gives recommendations on best practices for tutoring (I have attached it to this email). Here are some highlights:
- Having a formal contract outlining the expectations for tutoring is beneficial for both student and tutor
- Setting an expectation for consistently meeting with the tutor each week
o We do this through a missed session policy; students must give proper notification and make up the session in the same week or it will be unexcused, three unexcused misses results in tutoring being suspended until the student meets with the Tutor Coordinator
- The number of weeks a student is in tutoring produces a greater effect than the number of hours a student receives

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Very Respectfully,

Kegan Clark
Academic Advisor/Tutor Coordinator
TRIO Disability Support Services
Division of Diversity & Community Engagement
158 Grace Wilkie Annex | Box 145
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount | Wichita, KS 67260
Office: 316.978.5956