Hi Glenna and all,

Here's what I do.  About once every two years, I pull grade data for every undergraduate course in the curriculum.  I delete certain courses like the first year seminar, transfer seminar, capstones, study abroad, internships, and freshman composition (because there's a separate writing center on my campus).  Then I calculate the DFW rate and DFW count for every course remaining.  From there, I calculate the average DFW rate and the average DFW count.  Then I look to see which courses are above the average.  Any course that is above average in both rate and count is automatically a candidate for tutoring (I say "candidate" because there are certain courses my boss doesn't feel we should focus on, or which do not lend themselves easily to tutoring).  For the rest, I look at them one at a time.  How big is the course?  A very large course might generate a lot of DFWs even if the rate is low, because the count will be high.  A very small course might not be worth covering even if the rate is high, because the count is low.  A course that is central to the curriculum deserves more attention than a course that is an elective or required for a very small major.  From there, I make my list.  Of roughly 600 undergraduate courses in the curriculu, we cover about 60.

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Glenna Heckler-Todt
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 9:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: High D-F-W Benchmark

Hi! As learning center director and the person supervising tutoring, I have been put in charge of doing "something" about the high D-F-W rate for courses.  I am approaching this through providing tutoring for high D-F-W courses.  One issue that I am having is identifying the benchmark for what makes a course high D-F-W.  Is it 20% D-F-W, 30%???  Do any of you have a benchmark that your schools use to determine what percentage makes a course high D-F-W?

Thanks for your help!
Glenna

Glenna Heckler-Todt, Ed.D.
Director, Advising & Academic Resources
Schedule an Appointment<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__calendly.com_ghecklertodt&d=DwMFAg&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=g3frlfIzSRCXrdlVfYtG9sumxI9S9dfEq6648DT02b8&s=q2XZDoj1PxXE8iXP8DZB3GQQV42JmPMA_ANCPxT93-w&e=>
Student Success Center
Shawnee State University
Phone: 740.351.3277
Text Message: 740.431.4017
[cid:[log in to unmask]]
Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself
"Helping underprepared students prepare, prepared students advance, and advanced students excel."
--Motto of the National Association for Developmental Education (NADE)