Well, we've had SI at UM-Flint since 1996, but we did not have it before that time and I was the person who was running tutorial at that time (now in my thirtieth year here in that same job).

Impact on tutor usage? As I recall, I really don't think it impacted the use of tutors.  The issue always became getting students to use SI, not finding them abandon tutoring.  I think this is the experience for many programs that offer SI.

Funding? SI has been funded through our program, not the academic departments.

In terms of staffing, I guess you possible could become in competition with yourself, as you now have a greater need for personnel yet the same limited supply of talented tutors.  Nevertheless, that really was never a problem here.  Indeed, it was more difficult to staff SI than tutoring; we hire all SI Leaders as subject tutors as well, so when we hire a new SI Leader, we actually GAIN a tutor, although sometimes heir tutoring availability is more limited (that's the exception, not the rule).

Partnerships?  Lots!  Working with various retention efforts and offices, working much more closely with faculty, including faculty training. And working with advisors, who promote SI to their availability.  Working with the Registrar to note supported courses and help us find rooms for the sessions.  As to faculty, when we first started SI, we did not make many demands on them other than helping us select SI leaders, but as we went along we asked them to take a more active role in promotion, in helping to provide materials, if possible, for sessions, and of staying in close contact with the SI leader.

Our addition of SI/champion for SI was driven by my former supervisor from back in 1996, who was also much involved in our school's retention efforts. She brought it to campus and had me integrate it into what was then a walk-in and individual tutoring program.

We've done many local/campus studies on its effectiveness here, most of which were done by people outside of our office.  They always come back very positive.  I have no doubt that a well trained, well motivated SI Leader who understands the program can be very instrumental in the academic well-being of our students.  That being said, the hardest thing about SI is getting students to attend!  We've had difficulty with that, so much so that we have pretty much stopped offering it for lower level maths.

Nursing students use our tutoring a great deal and while we don't have SI for them (odd, since it was developed out of UMKC's Nursing program), I am confident that they will be a good audience for it and one that utilizes it.

Michael B. Kassel, Ph. D.
Tutorial Coordinator
Student Success Center
285 University Pavilion