Hey Jeffrey,

Hi from San Diego!  Hope all's well up in Portland.

In my experience, from the students' perspective, adding SI to your learning assistance program is unlikely to decrease tutoring usage; in fact, a high-quality SI program can increase the likelihood that students will seek tutoring.  At least, this was the case for us at San José State and seems to also be the case at Southwestern College, where I am now working.

There are some key considerations, however, from the perspective of your tutors and SI leaders and the tutor / SI coordinator's perspective.  These are some quick takes based on what I have observed coordinating the tutoring program in a learning assistance department that also had SI and in my current role as both a writing center tutor and SI leader:

Tutors' / SI Leaders' Perspective
In other words, when I am working as an SI leader, I have different tools that I can and can't use to assist students compared to when I am working as a tutor.  (This can be challenging to accept, because I know that I have the skill set to help the student, but, due to format and time constraints, I might not be able to use the tool in that moment.)

Tutor / SI Coordinators' Perspective

There is a lot more I could say about how best to marry tutoring and SI, including the third and distinct option of embedded tutoring--which is not the same as SI!  For example, what I've written above doesn't take into account faculty, staff, and administrators' perspectives, which are also vital to consider before adding an SI program to your learning assistance offerings.  I will leave it here for now, however, for the sake of time.  I am happy to keep the conversation going here or off-list.

Rebecca Tedesco
Southwestern College
CRLA Level 3 Master Tutor
Certified Learning Center Professional - Level 2
She/Her