Hi, Jeffrey.

At my previous institution, the opposite happened: we had had SI for more than 10 years, and then we added a Tutoring Lab that offered 1:1 tutoring. It went very well. The Lab reached 85% utilization the third semester. If SI had a small decrease it was more likely due to other factors (mostly understaffing). It rarely happened that an SI leader also worked as a tutor, but when it did happen, it didn't cause any particular issues.  I'll be happy to talk with you on the phone about the details.
I would like to hear opinions on embedded tutoring as well.

Best,

Ira