I've done these workshops for quite some time.  I talk about the ideas of
taking notes and the importance of re-copying and condensing.  As a
historian, I use a segment of one of my lectures - literally a paragraph of
text -- and deliver it as I would in a class.  The lecture paragraph is
shown on a powerpoint slide (they don't need to write it down, although
they can).  I use a very obscure topic (Spinning Bees from colonial
America) and then I show them a slide of how I might condense those notes
(taking out sentence structure, concentrating on main points/new terms).  I
then show them another shorter version that we all go over.  I then take
away the notes and quiz them and they are always able to respond to the
questions.

OK, in reality it's a bit of a parlour trick as dealing with the info that
soon makes it pretty easy to keep it in mind - however, it demonstrates the
process and I have yet to have a group I've done this with (been doing it
probably 25 years) where they have not been impressed with/proud of their
ability to recall.

Make it better/more meaningful by delivering the lecture and having them
take notes.  Give them five minutes to condense it (after you describe what
they should do), have them discuss what they came up with and then quiz.
But I've found, over the years, it seems to be just as effective skipping
that hands on step. I have no data to say which is better, though, as I
have never measured this - just my observations on 25 years of delivering
this workshop.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Michael B. Kassel, Ph. D.