Many of us know the great homophily review paper by
McPherson, Miller, Lynn Smith-Lovin, and James M. Cook. 2001. "Birds of
a Feather: Homophily in Social Networks." Annual Review of Sociology
27:415-444. [altho my spell checker needed to be taught "homophily"]

But my colleagues and I are wondering about more recent work, probably
multilevel:
How is the probability of forming a homophilic tie with similar people
(gender, religion, ethnicity, race, etc.) affected by the number of
similar people (e.g., % same race) in the environing social context, be
it city, organization, school etc.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

--

Barry Wellman, FRSC               Director, NetLab Network
Founder, International Network for Social Network Analysis

Kyle Lowry is My Spirit Animal
Step by step, link by link, putting it together--Streisand/Sondheim
The earth to be spannd, connected by network--Walt Whitman
It's Always Something--Roseanne Roseannadanna
A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times--You Are There!

NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System  Lee Rainie & Barry Wellman https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__amzn.to_zXZg39&d=DwICaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=1AK9lBpaK2T8iekxFJEj6K2awuCByv7OkmCpNRFkHqQ&s=ibTEk0Ro4hWDvTWsRkRo-Mniy-mkOfaTFPYxOol-YSw&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.chass.utoronto.ca_-7Ewellman&d=DwICaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=1AK9lBpaK2T8iekxFJEj6K2awuCByv7OkmCpNRFkHqQ&s=UifcK8hvq5QBPVvM1BAL1UB-hQ5jvjzxrYk809UCujc&e=             https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Barry-5FWellman&d=DwICaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=1AK9lBpaK2T8iekxFJEj6K2awuCByv7OkmCpNRFkHqQ&s=3pdT42s6pqFxCktsGOkEoNwmyO6G6zcPP3_dZ-Qzpe4&e=