The Provost is asking us, see below, to move courses away from face to face delivery IMMEDIATELY. More on this below.

From: Holt,Rebecca J <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Glover,Joseph <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 2:49 PM
Subject: Transitioning Instruction
 To:          Academic Deans
From:    Joe Glover, Provost
Re:         Transitioning Instruction
Given what we know about the evolution of the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S., we recommend that instructors move their courses from face-to-face delivery to an electronic delivery mode effective immediately, wherever possible.

  1.  This week I will be physically present in the classroom. HOWEVER, I am going to set up Zoom sessions so that, at first, we all meet in a common Zoom room, and then send people to breakout Zoom rooms so that people can work in their groups at a distance. (This will take some rigamaroll, because students have to log into Zoom, and only then can I assign them to a room with the rest of their group).  My hope is that people could already start to work at a distance tomorrow, but it’s going to take some trial and error.
Initially, as I work out the technical details of this, I’m sure it’s going to be glitchy as heck.  Please bear with me as we work this out. Although Zoom offers a “conference call” feature, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS. Please log in with your computer/device, and use a meaningful user name, so I know who I’m assigning to each room.

  1.  In future weeks, if we get this working, I will not come to the class, and will discourage you from doing so – encouraging us to support the University’s social distancing plan.
We’re fortunate because much of our class is already in Canvas and online. I think it is a big shame if we can’t meet in person, but I think we can work around.
What I will probably do in addition is open up some virtual office hours via Zoom, so that students who want extra help and conversation can meet that way. (Of course, individual scheduled meetings are also always possible).
You can get details on how to set up Zoom on your computers here: https://ufl.zoom.us/ . Be sure to download the client. You will log in with your UFID/ufl credentials. You will need a microphone and headphones.
I am also very concerned about disenfranchising students who do not have access to high quality internet or headphone/earbuds or microphone. If we need to brainstorm workarounds, please let me know?
As we navigate this, I’m going to need lots of help from you to make sure you’re getting what you need.
Michael