I just got done with a "chat" appointment at the student's request due to
instability of his wifi.  We did the google hangout meet but turned off
video and audio and chatted on the right side of the screen.  It went well
- no interruptions - but it does take more time to type things out, to be
careful to listen to their response and it's harder to read if they will be
more or less likely to try a strategy since we don't have nonverbals.  It
also took longer than our face to face appointment or google hangout meet
appointments - 10 minutes longer (30 minutes).  I think a chat is a great
tool, however, and does provide a lot of accessibility.  I think it could
be a very supportive tool.  Just hope they and you are fast typists and
patient with wait times...Ruth

*Ruth Nelson*
J. Ruth Nelson, Ph.D., LSP, NCSP
Co-Director, Academic Enrichment & Support Center (HC324f)
Professor, Psychology Dept
3900 Bethel Drive, P.O. Box 100
St. Paul, MN  55112
651-638-6088