I hope this is helpful.

Best,
Xander Gershberg

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 2:38 PM Lynn Schmitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Nic and all,
   Is your student a veteran or an individual who may be suffering with PTSD? We've experienced 2 of our student veterans who are having really difficult times with this epidemic.
   I contacted our university's Military/Veteran Student Services and organization. They were AWESOME! They recognized what I described to them, much like what you describe. They "guessed" (I did not disclose) who one of the student vets is. They told me, "Don't worry. We've got her." I almost cried. They also suggested that the students post to the organization's Facebook page and they would be sure that support would flood in. I trust them, they know what the students are going through.
   Stress can be manifested as physiological and cognitive impairment. Support from a mental health professional may be helpful too.
   Lynn

Lynn Schmitz
Asst. Dir. of ACCESS for Peer Assisted Learning (PAL)

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Nic Voge <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 2:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Strategies for dealing cognitive impairment

Hi all,

I hope this message finds you and yours safe and healthy.

I’m wondering you could share with me resources on how to manage what a student described to me as “cognitive impairment,” “really bad brain fog”.

The student has not disclosed more, so I don’t know more than this other than it’s a fairly long-standing condition that has, periodically, other significant physiological symptoms.

If anyone knows of particularly good resources for dealing with concussions (not accommodations by instructors, rather strategies for students) or post-concussion syndrome, that might be a start, so please let me know.

Take care all,

Nic

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge  || Senior Associate Director || he, him, his

McGraw Center for Teaching & Learning ||  Princeton University

328 Frist Center

(609)258-6921  || https://mcgraw.princeton.edu/undergraduates

signature_882082376

Life Beyond Grades: Designing College Courses to Promote Intrinsic Motivation

The Key To Overcoming Procrastination | TEDx PrincetonU

Principedia

The Insiders’ Guide To Princeton Academics—Add Your Voice!

"A university is, according to the usual designation, an alma mater, knowing her children one by one, not a foundry, or a mint, or a treadmill."--John Henry Newman

Xander Gershberg (he/him/his)

Assistant Writing Counselor

The MAX Center

Zoom ID: 331-986-4492