From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Rebecca Tedesco <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 12:40:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [External]

Hi colleagues,

I hope you are all doing okay. We find ourselves in an unprecedented situation and I understand why you might consider contracting with an online tutoring company to provide support to your students right now.

When deciding whether to do so, I urge you to consider what the tutors' experiences are like at these companies. If their tutors are not adequately compensated, supported, and trained, the companies cannot provide high-quality learning assistance to our students.

I have tutored for numerous online tutoring companies over several years, including some of the big names talked about frequently on this listserv, and these were the key features of my experiences at all of them:

  *   I was underpaid.

  *   I was not given sufficient work hours.

  *   I was isolated.

  *   I was not trained.

Under these circumstances, although I am a CRLA Level 3 Master Tutor and Level 2 Certified Learning Center Professional through NCLCA, the quality of my tutoring suffered greatly.

Before you shell out beaucoup bucks to contract with one of these companies, I urge you to find out more about their tutors' experiences, because it impacts the quality of support your students will receive.

Ultimately, you know the most about the experiences of the tutors you pay, support, and train. Why not stick to what you know and move your own tutors online? Or join an independent consortium like eTutoring<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__etutoringonline.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=W6BodNIhgiddJJwCAJvaRMEkGFyS8edjoFvrx1ACBtk&s=Go-KKm1dwxjFwUDHSGPftAqosY_p7xasykunCIrVR18&e=>, STAR-NY<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.starny.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=W6BodNIhgiddJJwCAJvaRMEkGFyS8edjoFvrx1ACBtk&s=Kw-r8PXvWD4xQdIhpSTBOWlnYyzK9uBii_G8_w9Eqm0&e=>, or STAR-CA<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.star-2Dca.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=W6BodNIhgiddJJwCAJvaRMEkGFyS8edjoFvrx1ACBtk&s=6MTXOMtqPek1fT2rx7yKQd9xYE-p4FW_945qJ4Iv3GU&e=> made up of tutors who are paid, supported, and trained by your tutor coordinator colleagues from this listserv?

Rebecca Tedesco
Southwestern College
CRLA Level 3 Master Tutor
Certified Learning Center Professional - Level 2
She/Her