SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social
network researchers (http://www.insna.org). To unsubscribe, send
an email message to
** Please share **
There is a vacancy for a 4 year PhD position at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies with a focus on Recommender Systems.
15th May 2020
We are looking for a candidate who wants to work on the research frontiers in Recommender Systems. The PhD candidate will be affiliated with the DARS research lab (https://dars.uib.no
) at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies and will be supervised by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Christoph Trattner.
Project proposals on Recommender Systems in the context of Media (e.g., News Recommender Systems) and Health (e.g., Food Recommender Systems) are prioritized. We are particularly searching for candidates willing to work on Biases, Fairness and Trust in News and Health Recommender Systems, either from an Interface or algorithmic perspective. Other domains and problems may be also considered if the candidate is particularly qualified and the problem is of relevance for society and the lab.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
* The applicant must hold a master's degree in Information Science, Informatics, or equivalent, and the degree has to be completed by the application deadline
* Strong programming skills are a must
* Background within data science and recommender systems is an advantage
* The requirements are generally grade B or better on Master thesis and for the Master degree in total
* Experience from scientific work (e.g., previous publications) is an advantage
* Great motivation for research, interest in the topic and good knowledge of relevant theory and methods
* As an applicant you should be able to work independently
* Proficiency in both written and oral English
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. A budget of running costs should be included. Admittance to the PhD-programme will be based on the research proposal.