Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
A Statement About Current Events

Dear UF Graduate Community,

In recent weeks, we have witnessed the latest chapter of the series of injustice, racism, and violence against Black lives that continues to persist within the United States. Most recently, the lives of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd — but far too many others beforehand — have been taken not only by horrific individual acts, but as a result of systemic racism, discrimination, and oppression that members of Black and other marginalized communities face every day.

On behalf of the Graduate School, I acknowledge the pain, frustration, and trauma that too many members of our UF community are feeling at this moment. Furthermore, I reaffirm our unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Collectively, we unequivocally condemn the continued violence against Black individuals as well as others, regardless of ethnicity, faith, nationality, sexual orientation, or gender identity.  We join in the many vigorous calls for justice and change. Please know we remain here to support you and will not remain silent under any grievous or egregious circumstances that may arise. Racism, bigotry, and hate have no place within the University of Florida, Gainesville, and the nation.

Henry T. Frierson, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President and Dean
The Graduate School
University of Florida