https://internationalcenter.ufl.edu/sites/all/themes/ufic/images/logo1.png

From UFIC: Changes Coming to International Student Services Unit

Dear Colleagues,

Please see the email below, that was sent to all our current international students, announcing the addition of a support services unit for international students. It is an honor and pleasure to partner with such dedicated and caring individuals, so many of you, for over the past 20 years that I was responsible for the International Student Services Compliance Unit. Having worked in that capacity, I have seen the struggles of adjustment many of our students face and appreciate this opportunity to develop a support services unit for our students. I look forward to continuing our association, but with a new direction. Stay well and safe.

Kind regards,

Debra

Debra Anderson, MALS
Director, Student Support Services
UF International Center
University of Florida
Email: [log in to unmask]

Dear UF international students,

I hope that you are keeping well in these very difficult times. The COVID-19 pandemic has created unprecedented and difficult circumstances for people around the world, and we are deeply conscious that it is particularly stressful to be far from family and home in such circumstances. Please know that we will continue to do our best to ensure your academic and personal success as we move forward.

I am pleased to announce that in our ongoing efforts to better serve you, and to help you succeed at UF, we have made some adjustments in our International Student Services office. Ms. Martine Angrand has now assumed the role of Director of Student Compliance Services, while Ms. Debra Anderson will serve as Director of Student Support Services.

We are very pleased to have two dedicated directors, each charged with one aspect of our dual mission of providing you with guidance on complying with federal and other regulations related to your status as an international student, while also supporting you in your academic and other needs on campus. Ms. Anderson and Ms. Angrand will, of course, continue to work together as well as with your academic advisors and departments to coordinate our efforts on your behalf.

Please reach out to Ms. Angrand and her team of F-1 International Student Advisors for questions such as maintaining F-1 status, requesting an update to your I-20, applying for CPT, OPT, or STEM OPT, or other such questions you may have as an F-1 student. Ms. Angrand and the international student advisors will continue to have offices in the HUB, and can best be reached by email.

Please feel free to reach out to Ms. Anderson for information on resources available to help and support you with academic or personal issues on campus, as well as for guidance on reporting and seeking help with emergencies. We are also pleased to announce that Ms. Anderson will soon be working from our new International Student Support Services office in Yon Hall, which will open as soon as circumstances permit.

Contact information for Ms. Anderson and Ms. Angrand, as well as other International Student Services staff is available at https://internationalcenter.ufl.edu/about-ufic/staff.

Please know that we highly value all of our international students and deeply appreciate what each of you contribute to our campus community. We are here to help you succeed as Gators. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if we can help.

Yours,

Leonardo A. Villalón
Dean, University of Florida International Center
Professor of Political Science and African Studies