LRNASST-L Digest - 8 Jun 2020 - Special issue (#2020-106)

Hi Lois,

It depends… of course that’s always the answer right? If you are like I was and providing both tutoring and disability services for the entire college, we get to do double duty on this one. First, as the DS office, I would authenticate the psych/md request for the room then identify where on campus the student can be in a quiet, near reduced distraction location to study. We were a commuter campus so it would not have occurred for us but I would probably have directed the student to a study carrel in the library.

Now as the tutoring administrator, I would certainly attempt to have a room inside of our limited space so the student could be near tutors, but even that would have been rather limiting. More often I would have worked with the math/science departments as we were adjacent to them and identify a classroom or adjunct office that wouldn’t be used at that time, to try and “reserve” the space for the student. Of course, all of this means the student would have to schedule the study time and use it all of the time.

I never had a “single” room requested for studying.

I hope that helps.

David

[log in to unmask]" alt="Northcentral University">
David L. Reedy, PhD
Sr. Core Adjunct Faculty, School of Education
Phone: 419.303.1908

         Past-President, Treasurer, Current Webinar Coordinator, NCLCA

         2018 Recipient NCLCA Lifetime Achievement Award