Hi Meredith,

There was a thread about your first topic (inappropriate appearance and behaviors during online sessions) this spring.  You might check out the archives for it.

Regarding different policies/approaches, the answer is yes up to a point.  The behavior and professionalism of the tutors is something I expect to be consistent.  I’ve noted the same policies on attire, for example.  Face-to-face sessions offer a video and audio component, so I insist that our online sessions be the same way and guide tutors in choosing an appropriate background in their home.

Insofar as recording is concerned, we’re using Go Board, so the participants automatically receive the PDF of the whiteboard at the conclusion of the session.  They are permitted to request a copy of the audio-visual record from me as well, but we don’t send it automatically.  Thus far, I’d say that fewer than 10% of our students have requested that element.  However, in asking if they are recorded in person, the answer is yes, but more for a security reason than educational because we’re also a testing center.  Therefore, there are cameras throughout the facility, several with an audio component.  It’s also to resolve any potential he said-she said issues.  In all fairness, though, I’m referencing a private tutoring and testing company in my responses.

In my prior university and community college positions we did not record sessions.  I can’t speak to what those departments are doing now in response to COVID-19.

We are also looking to keep tutoring services online, but, again, I’m referencing a private company now and can make that decision independently of an institution.  My feeling is that, since the state is mandating 50% capacity, we’re better off using our space for services such as testing and training classes we aren’t able to offer partly to entirely in person.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC

Now offering online tutoring!

Chosen as one of “The Best of New Haven’s 2019 Businesses”

446A Blake Street – Suite 101

New Haven, CT  06515

(203) 800-4100

www.Integrity1stLSS.com