Dear Colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting: It's my very sincere pleasure
to announce the publication of The Rowman & Littlefield Guide for Peer
Tutors
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Rowman-2DLittlefield-2DPractice-2DLearning-2DProfessionals_dp_1538135523_ref-3Dtmm-5Fpap-5Fswatch-5F0-3F-5Fencoding-3DUTF8-26qid-3D-26sr-3D&d=DwIBaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=7NyZd3Zk1jJzRuPNaLlZ65h9vAcjI5VRxeM9iKB6r_E&s=lbPiDVJakcqv5Cgui68T_e2EFLRyttj7XaQQXm7nCBo&e= >.
The
*Rowman & Littlefield Guide for Peer Tutors* provides an introduction for
tutors to the scholarship of teaching and learning as it pertains to their
work engaging students in learning centers, writing centers, Supplemental
Instruction programs, and other sites for peer-led learning in higher
education. Grounded in current findings from cognitive science,
the Guide provides peer tutors with research-based principles to drive the
choices that they make in sessions with learners.

As a long-time member of the learning center community (and as a long-time
lurker on LRNASST!), I've benefited enormously from the support of this
community, and I'm thrilled to be able to offer this resource back to it.
My goal, in writing this book, has been to provide (based on my background
as a learning center administrator, and also as a cognitive scientist) an
innovative, rigorous, and intellectually exciting approach for students
serving as peer educators, explaining the physical basis of learning in the
brain in a way that is accessible to college students and providing support
for peer tutors as they enter, and as they grow within, the field of
peer-led learning. I hope that you'll consider it for use in your tutor
training programs and tutoring courses (the book supports trainings offered
under the auspices of the CRLA International Tutor Training Program
Certification curriculum), as well as utilizing it as a reference on the
educational theory that undergirds peer tutoring programs. As you use it, I
invite your comments and feedback- there will be future editions of this
text, and they'll be responsive to the feedback I receive. Please note as
well, given the timeliness of the topic, that the text contains a robust
treatment of tutoring in online environments, encompassing the theoretical
underpinnings of online learning and computer-mediated communication, as
well as practical guidance for tutors on working with learners in specific
platforms such as direct messaging, message boards, text chat, video chat,
and whiteboards.

Also! Please note that this book represents the launch of a new series,
Rowman & Littlefield's *Theory** & Practice for Peer Tutors and Learning
Center Professionals*. This series will serve the scholarly and
professional community associated with peer tutoring in higher education,
enriching both the scholarship and practice of peer-led learning with the
robust scholarship of teaching and learning. Be on the lookout later this
year for the next book in this series, *The Rowman & Littlefield Guide for
Learning Center Administrators* (written by the series editors, myself and
Dr. Michelle Steiner, Assistant Vice President for Student Success at
Marymount University). There will be many future texts to come.

I hope you are all safe and well.

Dan

Daniel Sanford
Director, Writing at Bates and the Academic Resource Commons
Bates College
Coram Library 228
42 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.danielrsanford.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=7NyZd3Zk1jJzRuPNaLlZ65h9vAcjI5VRxeM9iKB6r_E&s=_26p-zr9vRCfwuuGYPoWsME7pGf_fcacljRP-XsxBzk&e=