Dear Colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting: It's my very sincere pleasure to announce the publication of The Rowman & Littlefield Guide for Peer Tutors. The Rowman & Littlefield Guide for Peer Tutors provides an introduction for tutors to the scholarship of teaching and learning as it pertains to their work engaging students in learning centers, writing centers, Supplemental Instruction programs, and other sites for peer-led learning in higher education. Grounded in current findings from cognitive science, the Guide provides peer tutors with research-based principles to drive the choices that they make in sessions with learners.

As a long-time member of the learning center community (and as a long-time lurker on LRNASST!), I've benefited enormously from the support of this community, and I'm thrilled to be able to offer this resource back to it. My goal, in writing this book, has been to provide (based on my background as a learning center administrator, and also as a cognitive scientist) an innovative, rigorous, and intellectually exciting approach for students serving as peer educators, explaining the physical basis of learning in the brain in a way that is accessible to college students and providing support for peer tutors as they enter, and as they grow within, the field of peer-led learning. I hope that you'll consider it for use in your tutor training programs and tutoring courses (the book supports trainings offered under the auspices of the CRLA International Tutor Training Program Certification curriculum), as well as utilizing it as a reference on the educational theory that undergirds peer tutoring programs. As you use it, I invite your comments and feedback- there will be future editions of this text, and they'll be responsive to the feedback I receive. Please note as well, given the timeliness of the topic, that the text contains a robust treatment of tutoring in online environments, encompassing the theoretical underpinnings of online learning and computer-mediated communication, as well as practical guidance for tutors on working with learners in specific platforms such as direct messaging, message boards, text chat, video chat, and whiteboards.

Also! Please note that this book represents the launch of a new series, Rowman & Littlefield's Theory & Practice for Peer Tutors and Learning Center Professionals. This series will serve the scholarly and professional community associated with peer tutoring in higher education, enriching both the scholarship and practice of peer-led learning with the robust scholarship of teaching and learning. Be on the lookout later this year for the next book in this series, The Rowman & Littlefield Guide for Learning Center Administrators (written by the series editors, myself and Dr. Michelle Steiner, Assistant Vice President for Student Success at Marymount University). There will be many future texts to come.

I hope you are all safe and well.

Dan

Daniel Sanford
Director, Writing at Bates and the Academic Resource Commons
Bates College
Coram Library 228
42 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240