From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Ray Sanchez
Sent: June 15, 2020 10:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: no gift rule

We let the students offer their gift of gratitude freely. There is no expectation on the part of the tutor and some tutees simply want to show their appreciation. It is better to give than it is to receive—or so goes the old adage—so I don’t get in the way of a student’s thoughtfulness. We have never experienced any issues but there would be exceptions, e.g., if a the gift exceeded the normal homemade cookies, starbucks gift card, coffee mug, etc. Thankfully (!?) no tutor has received a Tesla.

~Ray