[Apologies for cross-posting]

**HMB2020@SocInfo2020* -  *“Human Migration: potential areas for
combinations of big data”

**Date*: *6 October 2020

**Location*: *CNR, Pisa, Italy  & Online, together with SocInfo2020
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__kdd.isti.cnr.it_socinfo2020_&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=Y20suC-lzc3EfYeepkq-3dJltpDSyW39iZyxuB1MQls&e= >

**Submission deadlines (AOE)*:*

Abstract submission: 20 July 2020

Full paper submission: 27 July 2020

    Notification of acceptance:  31 August 2020

Camera ready version: 15 September 2020

**Workshop description**

Migration research covers a wide area of disciplines and is typically
performed using various data types such as census data, registries and
surveys, collected by governmental institutions and national statistics
offices. These data suffer from a set of limitations related to time and
space resolution that makes analysis of a cross-border phenomenon such as
migration far from straight-forward. Social big data have been proposed to
fill some of the gaps and complement traditional data types. Approaches
have started to appear, and they promise to enable the construction of new
migration-related indices that can provide better time and space
resolution. Analysis is difficult here as well, as big data may suffer from
selection bias and other issues. It remains to be seen how these data will
actually fill the gaps in traditional data, and whether they will open new
avenues for migration research.

HMB2020 aims to enable the sharing of experiences with big data and
migration among an interdisciplinary set of researchers and audience. We
want to bring together not only researchers from academia, but also from
institutions working with migration, and industry. The overall objective is
to understand better what are the plausible areas of study where big data
can make a difference, and what are the methodologies employed to date.
HMB2020 is part of the European project “HumMingBird: Enhanced migration
measures from a multidimensional perspective”.
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__hummingbird-2Dh2020.eu_&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=ntBhkEVTQP-T3heR7unWBq1ux4iHsqUYc-lJ-ppTIt0&e= >

**Chairs**

· Tuba Bircan, Department of Sociology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel,
Belgium *[log in to unmask]

· Carlos Arcila Calderón, Department of Sociology and Communication,
University of Salamanca, Spain *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*

· Jisu Kim, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy *[log in to unmask]

· Alina Sîrbu, Department of Computer Science, University of Pisa,
Italy *[log in to unmask]

**Topics**

We welcome submissions of papers on topics related to migration research
using big data. These include but are not limited to:

· Understanding migration flows using big data sources. This may include
nowcasting flows  using  social  media  or mobile phone data,
visualisation  and  analysis  of  flows  using  big  data, prediction of
flows based on big data, analysis of flows within very specific domains,
e.g.  scientific migration, labour migration, seasonal migration.

· Estimating  migration  stocks  using  big  data.   This  topic  may
include  nowcasting immigration rates based on social media and other big
data types, visualising such data, validating indices.

· Understanding push and pull factors in different types of migration,
which can include analysis of the brain drain phenomenon, economic
migration, data on refugees, sentiment analysis, etc.

· Studying the connection between policy changes and migration using big
data analytics.

· Evaluating socio-economic and cultural  integration of migrants with big
data. This can include analysis of different integration measures extracted
from  various types of data.

· Integrating big data models and traditional data sources for migration.

· Ethics of big data in the context of human migration.

**Paper submission**

All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another
journal or conference.  The papers will be selected through blind review.
Submitted papers should be maximum 15 pages long in the Springer LNCS
format, not including references. The submission has to be performed on
EasyChair:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_conferences_-3Fconf-3Dhmb2020&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=hfELZ0EAJI7pg6fComRGtJTburpHE_5uWRccUlEe15I&e=

Selected papers will be invited for publication in a Special Issue of a
highly ranked Scientific Journal to be announced before the workshop.

**Further details**

Workshop website:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_unipi.it_hummingbird-2Dworkshop2020_home&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=IAz0WmQHxv2zfngv-euzkwC6PpjjgYJays7bkC2qrjc&e=

Call for papers:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_cfp_HMB2020&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=fHb8etSCCIy_VIxrrRcnVYkIrZSDQPca_6wBEnYsfuE&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_cfp_HMBD2020&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=-vdHIXwwTmRxvpkpwJYAPopzoIUUjwoWDNez-7eLk2E&e= >

Forwarded on behalf of the organizing committee

*Samin Aref, Ph.D.*

Research Area Chair in Migration and Mobility | Lab of Digital and
Computational Demography | Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research

Room 318, Konrad-Zuse-Str. 1, 18057 Rostock | +49 (0)381 2081 297 |
*https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__saref.github.io&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=UDff8Cfk0a0I-YwNw-SJ6oqfLSCw-txgBAEkxvhOesA&s=qt2nTWzvfvb6qC9MI8dbhqV2_DFnqnhGBDk1Yr6e8RI&e=