I have two co-authored pieces on social networks and the environment
that may be of interest to some members of the list. (Though they are
very different topics, and different types of analyses.)

The first is in /Society and Natural Resources/:

The citation and abstract is as follows:

David B. Tindall, Mark C.J. Stoddart, Adam C. Howe. "Social Networks and
Climate Change Policy Preferences: Structural Location and Policy Actor
Support for Fossil Fuel Production." /Society and Natural Resources/

Abstract: Contrary to what is needed for reducing global GHG emissions,
successive Canadian governments have placed fossil fuel production at
the core of national economic development. This presents a puzzle: how
should we understand contradictory political commitments to the Paris
agreement and low carbon energy futures, on one hand, and the
persistence of support for fossil fuel centered energy futures, on the
other hand. Using a policy network perspective, we ask: Is the location
of actors within a climate change policy network associated with their
position on curtailing the Alberta oil sands development? Results show
that actors’ social network positions are associated with their support
for curtailing oil sands development. This network association persists
even when the sectoral affiliation and climate change beliefs of actors
are statistically controlled. Our results demonstrate that policy
network analysis helps explain the persistence of the contradictory
politics of fossil fuel development and support for decarbonization.

The advance online version (which the journal has made open-access) is
now available at:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.tandfonline.com_doi_abs_10.1080_08941920.2020.1783730-3FjournalCode-3Dusnr20&d=DwIDaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=6fX4S68AqTPSF7HsRAYEdO7iPsN-Lu3p7QAr-AYfpw8&s=vgBRFOg-Yowb7qZtzowQ6rtGLpv7chuosaKVYVfaKlw&e=

The second in in /Sociological Perspectives/:

The citation and abstract is as follows:

David B. Tindall, Adam C. Howe, Céline Mauboulès. "Tangled Roots:
Personal Networks and the Participation of Individuals in an
Anti-environmentalism Countermovement." /Sociological Perspectives/

Abstract: We focus on the personal networks of members of an
anti-environmentalism countermovement in a small town in Canada (Port
Alberni, B.C.) that mobilized against the environmental movement.
Drawing primarily from social survey data, we investigate the effects of
network-based mobilization processes, and contending-movement ties (ties
to the environmental movement), on level of participation in the
countermovement. We add to the literature on networks and social
movements, and movement-countermovement dynamics by 1) comparing network
processes amongst a counter movement with those amongst a corresponding
social movement, and 2) comparing personal network structures and
mobilization processes between countermovement members and the general
public. We find a similar pattern of network-based micromobilization
processes amongst movement and countermovement participant networks. We
find both similarities, and key differences between the counter movement
and the general public in terms of activism and social network ties.
Theoretical predictions have suggested that individuals who have ties to
opposing groups will moderate their participation in a social movement.
However, in this study of a community countermovement organization in a
small town in Canada that mobilized against the provincial environmental
movement we find that the number of contending movement ties (the range
of ties to environmental organizations) held by individuals in the
countermovement has a significant positive association with
countermovement activism, and is the strongest statistical predictor of
countermovement activism. Drawing upon both theory and substantive
information we discuss the implications of this novel finding.

I can e-mail the /Sociological Perspectives/ piece to anyone who is
interested. (I think it is behind a paywall.)

DBT

--
David Tindall
Professor

Chair
Environment and Society Minor, Faculty of Arts, University of British Columbia

Mailing address:

Department of Sociology
University of British Columbia
6303 N.W. Marine Drive
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada V6T 1Z1

Office Location: Anthropology and Sociology Building Room 1317

E-mail:[log in to unmask]