I have two co-authored pieces on social networks and the environment that may be of interest to some members of the list. (Though they are very different topics, and different types of analyses.)

The first is in Society and Natural Resources:

The citation and abstract is as follows:

David B. Tindall, Mark C.J. Stoddart, Adam C. Howe. "Social Networks and Climate Change Policy Preferences: Structural Location and Policy Actor Support for Fossil Fuel Production." Society and Natural Resources

Abstract: Contrary to what is needed for reducing global GHG emissions, successive Canadian governments have placed fossil fuel production at the core of national economic development. This presents a puzzle: how should we understand contradictory political commitments to the Paris agreement and low carbon energy futures, on one hand, and the persistence of support for fossil fuel centered energy futures, on the other hand. Using a policy network perspective, we ask: Is the location of actors within a climate change policy network associated with their position on curtailing the Alberta oil sands development? Results show that actors’ social network positions are associated with their support for curtailing oil sands development. This network association persists even when the sectoral affiliation and climate change beliefs of actors are statistically controlled. Our results demonstrate that policy network analysis helps explain the persistence of the contradictory politics of fossil fuel development and support for decarbonization.

The advance online version (which the journal has made open-access) is now available at:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08941920.2020.1783730?journalCode=usnr20

The second in in Sociological Perspectives:

The citation and abstract is as follows:

David B. Tindall, Adam C. Howe, Céline Mauboulès. "Tangled Roots: Personal Networks and the Participation of Individuals in an Anti-environmentalism Countermovement." Sociological Perspectives

Abstract: We focus on the personal networks of members of an anti-environmentalism countermovement in a small town in Canada (Port Alberni, B.C.) that mobilized against the environmental movement. Drawing primarily from social survey data, we investigate the effects of network-based mobilization processes, and contending-movement ties (ties to the environmental movement), on level of participation in the countermovement. We add to the literature on networks and social movements, and movement-countermovement dynamics by 1) comparing network processes amongst a counter movement with those amongst a corresponding social movement, and 2) comparing personal network structures and mobilization processes between countermovement members and the general public. We find a similar pattern of network-based micromobilization processes amongst movement and countermovement participant networks. We find both similarities, and key differences between the counter movement and the general public in terms of activism and social network ties. Theoretical predictions have suggested that individuals who have ties to opposing groups will moderate their participation in a social movement. However, in this study of a community countermovement organization in a small town in Canada that mobilized against the provincial environmental movement we find that the number of contending movement ties (the range of ties to environmental organizations) held by individuals in the countermovement has a significant positive association with countermovement activism, and is the strongest statistical predictor of countermovement activism. Drawing upon both theory and substantive information we discuss the implications of this novel finding.

I can e-mail the Sociological Perspectives piece to anyone who is interested. (I think it is behind a paywall.)

DBT

--
David Tindall
Professor

Chair
Environment and Society Minor, Faculty of Arts, University of British Columbia

Mailing address:

Department of Sociology
University of British Columbia
6303 N.W. Marine Drive
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada V6T 1Z1

Office Location: Anthropology and Sociology Building Room 1317

E-mail: [log in to unmask]