Save the Date: Three Minute Thesis 2020 (3MT)

The Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition has come around again, and this year we are taking it online!

For those new to the competition, 3MT is a dissertation presentation competition that challenges doctoral students to tell an audience and a panel of judges all about their research in just three minutes. Normally, we would invite competitors and spectators to the Reitz Union for the event, but, like universities all over the country, we have had to adapt to the ongoing pandemic situation.

In lieu of the traditional preliminary heats, student competitors will submit a recording of their presentation and slide captured in Zoom to the 3MT planning team. These recordings will be sent to judges from across campus who will send us final scores and comments for competitors. The Top 10 competitors will then move on to the 3MT 2020 Final Competition, to be held on November 5 via Zoom, for the chance to win up to $550. Please note that despite the change to recordings, all other past rules still apply.

Registration will open via Qualtrics on Monday, September 14, at 8 a.m., and close on Monday, September 21, at 5 p.m. The link to register will be posted on the Graduate School 3MT webpage that morning, and all doctoral students will receive the link directly. Competitors are not required to submit a recording at the time of registration.

To read more about the competition, see important dates, and watch past finalists present, please visit our 3MT webpage by clicking here.

We hope to see you in the competition, and we hope that your semester is off to a great start!