We invite applications to our world-renowned and highly interdisciplinary doctoral program at the School of Information Sciences (iSchool) at the University of Illinois. Our students have backgrounds in a broad range of fields, including the arts, humanities, social sciences, computing, and artificial intelligence. Our students receive one-on-one mentorship from faculty who have a global reputation for research excellence in a range of overlapping areas:

For a comprehensive list of research areas, see: https://ischool.illinois.edu/research/areas. For more about our faculty visit http://ischool.illinois.edu/people/faculty.

The School's flexible program prepares students with the intellectual guidance and experiences necessary for vibrant research careers in a wide range of academic, business, and public sector settings. Accepted students are guaranteed four years of funding in the form of research, teaching, and service assistantships, which include tuition waivers and stipends. We also offer travel support. We especially encourage students from historically and statistically underrepresented minority groups to apply.

Our PhD program in Information Science is the oldest existing LIS doctoral program in the U.S. with 270 graduates. Recent graduates are now faculty members at institutions such as the University of Michigan, University of Washington, University of Maryland, and UCLA, professionals at Baidu, Google, and AbbVie, and academic library professionals at the Library of Congress, Princeton University, and the University of Chicago.

APPLICATION

For more information about the application process, please visit: https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-information-sciences/apply

Application deadline is Tuesday, December 01, 2020, at 11:00 p.m., Central Time.

For additional information about our PhD program, see https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-information-sciences

For questions, please contact Prof. Michael Twidale, PhD Program Director, at [log in to unmask].

The iSchool is hosting a virtual information session for prospective students interested in the Ph.D. in Information Sciences degree on Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 1pm to 2:30pm (CST).

The event will include interactive sessions with faculty and current Ph.D. students and will conclude with a degree and application overview.

The event is free, but does require attendees to register prior to the event. If you are unable to attend the live stream, we plan to record the entire program and email it out to all registrants.

Event Registration Page

Event Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Time: 1pm to 2:30pm (CST)

Registration Deadline: 11/11/20 at 9am

Jana Diesner, PhD

Associate Professor, School of Information Sciences (courtesy appointment in Computer Science)

Director, Strategic Initiatives/ Data Science

Faculty Fellow, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)

http://jdiesnerlab.ischool.illinois.edu

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.