*** apologies for cross-posting ***

Dear all,

The Centre for Networks and Enterprise Excellence (CNEE), Heriot-Watt University, is hosting a series of virtual guest talks during the Autumn term. All are welcome, so please circulate to anyone who may be interested.

The first talk of the series is on Wednesday 18th November 2020. Please see below for more information.

Please join us by clicking on the “Click here to join the meeting” link at the end of this email. Please note you do not need to have Microsoft Teams installed on your machine, as you can join via both the browser or the Teams app.

Towards a Brokerage-Based Measure of Organizational Diversity:  Method and Application

Presenter: Dr Roy Barnes (University of Michigan-Flint)

Wednesday 18th November 2020, 16:00-17:00 (UK time)

In this paper, we introduce a straight‐forward method to measure organizational diversity that utilizes the importance of social ties. In developing our single‐mode brokerage‐based measure of diversity, two themes are central. The first stems from the work that has emphasized the benefits of increased diversity for organizational decision‐making, while. the second draws on the insights from social network analyses to consider the roles that individuals play in connecting individuals not already affiliated. The paper is organized into three sections: the first contextualizes our measure within the work that has theorized the importance of brokerage, homophily, and organizational diversity; the second describes and outlines the steps for deconstructing brokerage roles that is necessary to generate our measure of organizational diversity; and the third contributes to the literature by applying our measure to an exploration of whether increased levels of demographic diversity captured through both board composition and the diversity generated through interlocking directorates are related to greater corporate responsibility in 2005 as indicated by lower numbers of regulatory violations among the Fortune 100.

Dr Roy Barnes is a Professor of Sociology in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice at the University of Michigan-Flint.  Dr Barnes also serves as Associate Dean in the College of Arts and Sciences, a position that he has held since 2013.  Dr Barnes’s research interests include interlocking corporate directors, social network analyses and political sociology.  His recent research develops the themes of diversity on corporate boards and its potential association with the number of regulatory violations.  From his earlier Social Mosaic project (https://www.umflint.edu/cas/social-mosaic-project), Dr Barnes published the paper “Structural redundancy and multiplicity within networks of US corporate directors” in Critical Sociology (2017).

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Learn More | Meeting options

Any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on [log in to unmask].

Kind regards

Yasi

Dr Yasaman Sarabi

Assistant Professor, Doctoral Programme & Research Methods
Edinburgh Business School

Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS

E: [log in to unmask]

T: +44 (0)131 451 8018  ebsglobal.net | hw.ac.uk
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]"> [log in to unmask]">

[log in to unmask]" alt="shaping tomorrow">

Heriot-Watt University is a Charity registered in Scotland, SC000278

Untitled Document

Founded in 1821, Heriot-Watt is a leader in ideas and solutions. With campuses and students across the entire globe we span the world, delivering innovation and educational excellence in business, engineering, design and the physical, social and life sciences. This email is generated from the Heriot-Watt University Group, which includes:

  1. Heriot-Watt University, a Scottish charity registered under number SC000278
  2. Heriot- Watt Services Limited (Oriam), Scotland's national performance centre for sport. Heriot-Watt Services Limited is a private limited company registered is Scotland with registered number SC271030 and registered office at Research & Enterprise Services Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS.

The contents (including any attachments) are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system.