[cid:[log in to unmask]]

UF Graduate School condemns attack on Asian Americans

Last week, we witnessed the latest tragic occurrence of the injustice, racism and violence that seems to be more prevalent against Asian Americans. The Graduate School condemns the heinous murder of the eight individuals killed last week in the three Asian-owned establishments in the Atlanta area.  Six of those murdered were women of Asian descent. Sadly, this terrible crime has amplified the prejudice and bigotry against Asians and those of Asian descent, who have already been unjustifiably blamed by bigots for the COVID-19 pandemic, but even more, many have historically suffered merely because of their Asian heritage.
The Graduate School acknowledges the pain, frustration, and trauma that so many members of our UF community are feeling at this moment. We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and support. We unequivocally condemn the continued violence against Asian Americans and against others, regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, nationality, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
We join with colleagues across campus in the vigorous calls for justice, positive change, and in support of our Asian-American colleagues and students. The Graduate School will not be silent or tolerate any grievous or egregious circumstances that arise related to racism, bigotry, and hate. Racism, bigotry, hate, and acts of violence have no place within the Graduate School, the University of Florida, Gainesville, and the nation.
Henry T. Frierson, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President and Dean
The Graduate School