MEMORANDUM

December 28, 2020

All Department Chairs, Graduate Coordinators, and Staff

UF Graduate School

RE:

Update on GradStart: Orientation for New Spring 2021 Graduate Students

GradStart — the UF Graduate School’s orientation for new Spring 2021 graduate students — is slated for January 6-8, 2021, and will again be held in a virtual format. It combines livestreamed Zoom sessions with “at your own pace” Canvas modules for enhanced convenience and safety. Please note that our live workshop sessions will be archived for later viewing.

Held via Zoom webinar sessions, and presented within our online GradStart Canvas course, the orientation includes:

·        The Graduate School’s Introduction to GradStart

·        Information sessions introducing units and resources to help students transition to graduate studies and the UF environment.

·        International student orientation with the International Center and the Counseling & Wellness Center.

·        A virtual resource fair featuring on-campus organizations.

·        Coronavirus (COVID-19) precautions, protocols and procedures.

Each orientation activity is recommended for all new graduate students and designed to dovetail with your department and college welcomes.

Given the compressed schedule between the university’s winter break and the start of classes, we recognize that there may be scheduling conflicts between Graduate School sessions and those of graduate programs. If such situations arise, we recommend that students attend their program-specific events and review the recordings of our Zoom sessions at a later date.

The general schedule is posted on the Graduate School’s orientation landing page (http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/admissions/orientation/), and will be updated with Zoom links next week: http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/admissions/orientation/

Finally, new students will be added to the GradStart Canvas course based on confirmation of their admission, as shown in Slate. If any students have issues in trying to access GradStart, they can contact us via [log in to unmask].

Other questions? Please email Matt Mitterko at [log in to unmask] or Bradley Osburn at [log in to unmask]

We look forward to working with you to welcome our newest graduate students this Spring!