Our policy is that if a student no-shows twice they are suspended from
services. They can lift the suspension after meeting with a staff member to
talk about what is going on. We do this in order to help get the student
the resources that they need (sometimes it's referring them to counseling,
academic skills services, etc). If after we meet and help the student find
resources and make a plan to help them attend sessions, they no-show again
they are suspended from tutoring for that course for the rest of the
semester. They wouldn't be suspended from other services (academic skills,
SI, or tutoring for another course).

This method has helped us get students the resources they need, has helped
keep our tutors from getting too frustrated by students not attending
sessions and helps open up more session availability for students who might
have had scheduling conflicts with other tutors.

Emily

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM Copeland, Lauren <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My no-show policy states that if a person no-shows 3 times he/she can no
> longer make an appointment with a tutor, but he/she can take his/her
> chances and walk-in.
>
> Caveat: Now I have some on-call tutors (the tutor only works when an
> appointment is scheduled), so there is no walk-in option in these cases. I
> have a student in this situation right now. What would you do? I feel
> terrible withholding tutoring, but his no-shows are chronic. I'm
> considering: After a meeting with me where we discuss academic success
> tips, he can resume meetings with his tutor.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best,
> Lauren
>
> *Lauren Copeland*
> *Coordinator of Tutoring Services*
> Academic Success
> E.H. Butler Library 149M
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__academicsuccess.buffalostate.edu_tutoring&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=L1BBb_Mcoz7TKJU8AYx_oVct5Nx0stORzKvjr7SV2Ho&s=73IWYzgsCIP7_drk2CxCyddaw44kTZuplaktcIEpZuo&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__academicsuccess.buffalostate.edu_tutoring&d=DwMFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=3iAweNjIfM_hOwoFCujhi_AUAMzpjEhrsQGce4lVSt8&s=bt2bUWjF-UeV2OO39QEO0SdS5semaxptnoxTezbhKvU&e=>
>

> *Tutoring- the natural choice of successful students!*

*Emily Polk*

Senior Assistant Director for Academic Excellence

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__success.uncg.edu_departments_aac_&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=L1BBb_Mcoz7TKJU8AYx_oVct5Nx0stORzKvjr7SV2Ho&s=biLksK8_vDNM1kPjWvnl7fT65AFvVJUSYLFNs78fKcA&e=
Forney Student Success Commons, Room 114 A

(336) 334-4860

*Pronouns: She/Her/Hers*

*Click here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__intercultural.uncg.edu_student-2Dadvocacy-2Doutreach_lgbt-2Dcommunity_lgbtq-2Dresources_trans-2Dresources_why-2Dpronouns-2Dmatter&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=L1BBb_Mcoz7TKJU8AYx_oVct5Nx0stORzKvjr7SV2Ho&s=YA9k74y1d3oiBPbiL_j-rnrilQE6dVO15id7r6Fqlvc&e= >
find out more about why pronouns matter*