Hi Lauren,

I have a similar issue, except my dean kind of makes the rules on this. We have a 3 in a row no show policy, and then they are told to pick a different time. I don't know that this is necessarily a consequence because they can just do the same thing at another time. If students are consistently missing or taking advantage of tutors' time I feel that they need a little more than a warning. Given your explanation, I'd agree to do the meeting first as you thought. I have a student currently who wasn't showing up, and I gave him a phone call. We discussed the policy and he agreed he needs to show up to his next session or he will not have that time slot any longer. We will see if he does actually show up to his next session.

Sometimes giving that call or meeting with them shows that we care and we are here to support them. I do feel your pain on deciding how far to go with this student because it can also be energy draining to continue hoping they will abide by the policies and not waste your or the tutors' time. I like to go with my gut feelings. My dean says "policy is policy" BUT then sometimes makes exceptions or bends to the rules depending on the situation. Do we want to anger this student so they go badmouthing us? Do we think this student will understand the "warning" and then start to follow the rules? Trust what you're feeling too. It's very valid.

Good Luck!
Alyssa

Alyssa Fiume

Coordinator of Tutoring Services

CASE Marketing

Center for Academic Success & Effectiveness (CASE)

262 South Main Street

Lodi, NJ 07644

P: 201-559-6118

To register for tutoring: https://rebrand.ly/TCregist