Hi all,

Thank you for bringing this topic up Ira.  I appreciate it and it is
something that I have challenges with when talking to faculty, students,
and counselors.  I don't know if it is helpful but I attached some articles
below (I don't know if it will attach these documents so I put the citation
information below as well).  In my own data collection and analysis, it was
difficult to find a strong correlation between students receiving tutoring
and factors revolving around academic achievement, particularly GPA.  In
fact, this was difficult to assess in that it was impossible to determine
what students who received tutoring would have received in the course they
received tutoring for without tutoring.  Moreover, it was hard to determine
because it didn't include qualitative indicators, such as engagement,
showing up on time and prepared, application of what is learned, rapport
with tutor, etc.  One of the things I recently did was in Starfish, I added
a SpeedNotes section that asks for qualitative factors in a checkbox form
that tutors are required to fill out.  Questions include tutee's confidence
level after leaving session, whether or not they showed up on time and
prepared, whether or not the tutee put forward effort, etc.  While this
isn't by any means scientific it provides myself and my staff a clearer
picture as to how students are engaging in tutoring services.

I do agree that there needs to be more communication as to what tutors,
particularly peer tutors, are capable of and what they aren't capable of
doing.  Working with many administrators who see immediate tutoring as a
fix-all for those students' academic difficulties, or others who gauge
student success simply by the number of hours they receive tutoring is
problematic.  Thank you again and I hope all is well.

Ryan

*Sources Referenced:*
Comfort, Paul and John James McMahon.  "The Effects of Peer Tutoring on
Academic Achievement."  *Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education*
6, no. 1 (2012): 168-175.

Kostecki, James and Trudy Bers.  "The Effect of Tutoring on Student
Success." *Journal of Applied Research in the Community College* 16, no. 1
(Fall 2008): 6-12.

Ticknor, Cindy, Shaw, Kimberly A., and Timothy Howard.  "Assessing the
Impact of Tutorial Services." * Journal of College Reading and Learning* 45
(2014): 52-66.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:11 AM Ira Fabri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thank you, All for your insight and information!
>
> Ira
>
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Debbie Malewicki <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rebecca,
>>

>> I did some of the same correlations as Ira in years past, but obviously
>> that data stayed behind when I left the institution through which I
>> collected it.  I did see a spike for students in the middle, ballpark a
>> session or so a week for a class spread throughout the term.  I didn’t
>> notice a particularly strong finish, i.e., grades in the high B or A
>> ranges, for students who “lived” in the tutoring center.  We looked at this
>> data for some, not all, years intermittently, so these are casual
>> impressions rather than anything I could quantify.
>>

>> I wish I could quickly pull up the study I mentioned, but I’m inundated
>> for the next few days at least and suspect it will take me at least an hour
>> to find it.  I’ll see if I can locate it later this week and will post it
>> here if I do.  I just remember that it came out of the CCC and was based
>> upon a study with those correlations.  I don’t know that I would consider
>> any outcome as a hard and fast rule because there are too many variables
>> that go into a grade for a course, but that one struck home with me because
>> it showed a range of concrete numbers and a realistic outcome I could use
>> to drive home the “not miracle workers” attitude.
>>

>> When I started using it, I cited the source in some of our marketing
>> materials, but I left that school a few years ago and didn’t take that kind
>> of content with me.  I’m sorry.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>

>> Debbie Malewicki, President
>>
>> USA Tutors, LLC
>>
>> (203) 800-4100

>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.USATutors.io&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=Sfiy_TylcxUcSWE2Hk0aJIMsbzahdGJ_PTMPGHMrhUE&s=pvG55eEvd_A_XAt9IWPEfYbkbKNJJ34fHTQvsivpPBA&e=
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.usatutors.io_&d=DwMGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=yVDX075AB1XR4K8nCFCZzd1zGdLDcvkHhLK9i_Uel34&s=PBAp-BBLPW6QIXfoseCxkKwYZaQjcaavbDOL9XKauT4&e=>

*Ryan Mead, Ph.D*
Senior Coordinator, Academic Support Services and Summer Programming
Educational Opportunity Program, Binghamton University
*Email:* [log in to unmask]
*Zoom ID:* 607-777-6867
*Zoom Invite Link:* https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__binghamton.zoom.us_my_rmead&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=Sfiy_TylcxUcSWE2Hk0aJIMsbzahdGJ_PTMPGHMrhUE&s=Ww7QkLMiobHDgIS2FvoCun6Zw4Jal4vTa2arbywUI30&e=
*Office Location:* UU 263G

*"**Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed
until it is faced."*
- James Baldwin