Thank you so very much.

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ray Sanchez <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Tutors as "miracle" workers

[External]: This email originated from outside of California University of Pennsylvania.

Here are a few related studies:

Cooper (2010) studied students participating in the tutoring center of a large west coast university. He found that those students who visited the center for drop-in tutoring 10 or more times a semester had higher rates of persistence and were more likely to be in good standing with the university than those who did not visit the center or visited it fewer than 10 times a semester.

In 2011, Reinheimer and McKenzie explored the performance of tutored and nontutored undeclared students using logistical regression techniques. They tracked a cohort of 207 students longitudinally from their entrance into college in 2004 through 2008. They found that undeclared students who participated in tutoring were much more likely to be retained over time than undeclared students who did not receive tutoring.

Vick, Robles-Pina, Martirosyan, and Kite (2015) investigated the effects of tutoring on over 2,400 students enrolled in three consecutive semesters of developmental English courses on a community college campus. They compared the final grades of students who had experienced either drop-in or appointment-based tutoring with those who did not participate in tutoring. Pass rates for the tutored students exceeded those of the nontutored students each semester. Tutored students passed the developmental English course at rates ranging from 7% to 14% higher than nontutored students.

In 2015, Colver and Fry examined the performance of tutored and nontutored students who were required to repeat an undergraduate class. The researchers found that tutored students outperformed nontutored students as measured by final course outcomes.

Copus and McKinney (2016) explored the impact of early tutoring intervention on completion rates in a beginning algebra course for students scoring in the bottom 40% on an algebra pretest. The intervention required students to attend at least two tutoring sessions a week for at least the first 4 weeks of class. Of the 179 students taking the course, the tutored students had a pass rate of 65.6% whereas the nontutored students had a pass rate of only 22.2%.

Walvoord and Pleitz used the “case-control” method to match 215 students based on high school grades and standardized test scores. All of the matched students then participated in a tutoring program for which tutors had completed CRLA training. The authors found a statistically significant higher GPA for students who had attended at least one tutoring session during the semester.

In 2019, Elbulok-Charcape, Grandoit, Berman, Fogel, Fink, and Rabin studied 180 students enrolled in an introductory psychological statistics course offered at a large urban university during a 15-week semester. Each student completing the course took three noncumulative examinations. Those who attended at least two tutoring sessions prior to the tests outscored those who did not attend tutoring by a statistically significant margin on all three tests.

More information can be found in a recent article written by Racchini, Boylan, and Sanchez in Research in Developmental Education (RIDE) published by Appalachian State University.