Hi Julie,

When I first started in my position four years ago, our Academic Coaching program was called Academic Coaching & Research Services (ACRS). As I’ve spent more time developing the service, it’s become very clear that we don’t offer research services (and I don’t really train on research) as much as we refer out for that – either to our Writing Studio or our research and reference librarians who offer research consultations (during which they review a student’s research project or assignment, introduce the databases, discuss scholarly articles, etc.).

That said, over time I have slowly started leaving the “& Research Services” off and started re-branding as simply “Academic Coaching.” We do our part in our marketing endeavors to differentiate between tutoring and coaching for both faculty and students, so they can understand when they might refer to, or use each service, resepctively.

Best,

Renee

Renee A. Bernier

Coordinator of Academic Coaching